Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Just Do It!

Don't think--just do!
Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:13-14 NIV

Have you ever started out to do something and then got sidelined, either by your own attitude or by life events? According to StatisticBrain.com, only 46% of people who make New Year’s resolutions stick with them beyond one month. I see this at my local YMCA where I work out. It's packed with people in January, but by February, the regulars have free run of the equipment again. J

Why are resolutions so hard to keep? Our intentions are good. Most of the time, we desperately want to change certain areas of our lives. So why don’t we? (click to tweet) Fear, seemingly insurmountable obstacles, or others tearing us down? Maybe. Sometimes financial reasons stand in our way. But perhaps the underlying reason is more simple—we overthink the changes we want to make. 

I’ve watched Biggest Loser off and on for several seasons. One of the things the trainers say when the contestants whine and make excuses is—“Quit thinking about it. Just do it!” Of course, Jillian Michaels also threatens to kill them and other such nonsense if they jump off the treadmill one more time! J

But there’s merit in that advice. I don’t think about going to the “Y.” If I did, I wouldn’t go. I simply get dressed and drive there. That’s all I allow myself to think about. Not the workout. Not how hard it is or that I don’t feel like doing it, especially when it’s below freezing outside or over 100o in the summer.

One of the things I decided to do this year is read through the entire Bible. I read through it in 1999-2000, but I didn’t accomplish it all in one year. And there’s nothing wrong with that, but this time I want to try to read it in a year. I printed a chronological schedule from Joni Eareckson Tada’s website and have been checking off as I read a section. I’ll admit I’ve missed completing a day here or there, but I always go back and catch up. Like the Apostle Paul, I press on toward the goal. A great way to do this is online, especially since I need bifocals and haven’t gotten them yet. Book print is increasingly hard for me to see, but I can read several chapters at the time online.

One of my favorite online Bible resources is Bible Gateway. If you don’t think you’ll keep up with a chronological list to read through the Bible, why not get chapters delivered to your e-mail inbox daily? Or if you want to start with a smaller goal, perhaps read through the New Testament in 2014. This can also be delivered to you via e-mail. Click here to access these resources on Bible Gateway. While you're there, take a few minutes to peruse the other free resources they offer. There are several devotional programs to choose from, as well.

Whatever you choose to put your hand or mind to this year in service to Christ, or in other areas of your life you've set goals, I pray you’ll find the spiritual, emotional, and physical stamina to do so.

I can do all this through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13 NIV

What goals have you set for 2014? Do you have a good plan to fulfill them? I'd love to hear about them.


If you’d like prayer to stay on task to reach a goal or for another issue, please share in the comments or e-mail me confidential requests. I’d love to pray for you.

God bless,
Laura

©Laura Hodges Poole

7 comments:

  1. I needed this today more than you'll ever know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you were inspired, Katy. Isn't it great that God gives us what we need to hear at just the right time?

      Delete
  2. This is so good Laura! I'm like Katy, this was encouragement I really needed! Very timely and well written! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll admit, I'm struggling with the working out thing at the moment. There just doesn't seem to be enough time. But I am determined to NOT let this become a habit, just a temporary break as I'm in a super busy time in life.

    My husband and I read through the Bible Chronologically in 2012 and decided to do it again in 2013...but we are still working on it this year. It's okay that it's taking us longer this time around. We are learning so much. I think I could spend every moment of every day reading God's Word and never learn it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a struggle to fit so much into a busy schedule! Good to hear you're reading back through the Bible. I agree, I learn something new every time, too.

      Delete
  4. Laura, I agree with Katy, and with Cindy. This IS what I needed to hear today. Thank you so much for your patience, love, and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete