Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Just A Closer Walk With Thee

Daily walking close to Thee
“I am weak, but Thou art strong; Jesus, keep me from all wrong; I’ll be satisfied as long; As I walk, let me walk close to Thee.”
Recognize the words to this old hymn? I love hymns because of their encouragement and theology.
I’m not a person who freely shares my struggles with others. Since I’ve started this weekly prayer post, a few followers have emailed me and asked, “How can I pray for you?” I appreciate this and those who silently pray because I feel it. I’m so humbled by the support. So perhaps you’ll indulge me for a few minutes while I share. 
I’ve never been what you’d consider athletic, though I try to stay physically active. I believe in taking responsibility for your own health as far as you’re able. Some people are blessed with better health than others, and this changes as we go through different seasons in life. 
For years I’ve dealt with sciatic nerve problems. Exercise helps, though finding the right balance can be a challenge, especially as I grow older. Sitting at a computer for long stretches doesn’t help and sometimes causes back and hip pain. I’m sure those of you who sit at a desk for long periods can relate. I’m fortunate to work from home, so I’m able to move around often, and this helps. 
However, within the last six months, the discomfort has started to disrupt my sleep, which in turn increases the problems during the day. So far it hasn’t slowed my productivity. I’ve learned to work around the unpleasant nature of the situation. 
Instead of going to the YMCA to work out, I’ve started walking in the mornings. After adjusting to the outdoor climate, especially in this South Carolina heat, I discovered something really neat. 
While the Y is bustling and noisy—outdoors it’s just God and me dwelling in nature! Genesis 3:8 describes God walking in the Garden of Eden in the cool of the day. I find it remarkable that Eve chose to jeopardize this relationship. If only she’d taken God at His word instead of learning the hard way, but that’s a topic for another post. J
I return from my morning walk hot and sweaty, but also refreshed physically and spiritually. Since my change in exercise, finding a comfortable sleep position has improved, and I don’t wake up as hobbled in the mornings. 
Through this and other trials, I’ve learned to appreciate Paul’s testimony of his “thorn.”
“Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” 2 Corinthians 12:8-9a
I praise God for the pain that drove me into the comfort of His solitude each morning. I know He will sustain me through anything. 
Just a closer walk with Thee,
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea,
Daily walking close to Thee,
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.
I’d love to hear your praise reports about how God has worked in your life to remedy a difficult situation or walk with you through it.
Please share your prayer requests in the comment section or email me confidentially. I’ve created a separate page above to give updates on the U.S. soldier we’ve been praying for, Sgt. Jesse McCart. As I get news and photos of his progress, I’ll share on that page. Take a moment to check out the photos and his status, as well as a mailing address for him and other GIs in the same hospital who could use encouragement during their long recoveries. 
We’ve been praying for Karen Redding who was in hospice care with leukemia. She passed away this week. Praise God she’s no longer in pain, but pray for her husband and children as they deal with their grief and loss. 
Remember these folks battling cancer:
Courtney, young mother with brain tumor
TC’s father-in-law
Emily, 12-year-old with bone cancer
Lori, my cousin’s wife with terminal cancer
Sally continues to fight a 12-year battle with breast cancer
Would you also lift up the folks who visit this blog—that they would be ministered to at their point of need? God knows what this is.
Are you seeking a closer walk with God? Or perhaps a revelation about where to go or what to do in your life? Take a moment to worship with Third Day’s “Revelation” before we go to the Lord in prayer. 

Thank you for your faithful prayer support.
God bless,
Laura
 © Laura Hodges Poole

8 comments:

  1. Laura, this is a very touching post. You never complain and are always so encouraging -- offering and praying for others in their needs. I am praying for you and your hip tonight. I pray that you enjoy your nature walks with God in the mornings and that your sciatica problem improves very quickly!
    Love you, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy. I know you pray for me, and I appreciate it. God is so good to us. Love you, too.

      Delete
  2. Laura, this is a very touching post. You never complain and are always so encouraging -- offering and praying for others in their needs. I am praying for you and your hip tonight. I pray that you enjoy your nature walks with God in the mornings and that your sciatica problem improves very quickly!
    Love you, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. laura thanks for another good post.
    God Bless and thanks for all the care and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Betty. Thanks for your faithful prayers. God bless you, as well.

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Denise. I hope you have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful post. I love being able to find solace in God.
    Newest follower! Drop by and say hello sometime!
    Of Thoughts and Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ashley. So nice of you to stop by. I'm glad you found the post inspiring and became a follower! I'm your newest follower, as well. I enjoyed visiting your blog and look forward to getting to know you better. God bless.

      Delete