Monday, April 23, 2012

Quiet Rejuvenation

"Grace and peace to you from God our Father."~ Apostle Paul

Unlike many folks, I look forward to Monday morning. It’s a time for me to recenter my spirit on the ministry God has called me to do. Weekends can be a bit hectic, so it’s vital I rejuvenate in order to do His work.

Rejuvenation is multi-faceted. I draw on God’s grace, peace, and strength—but I also rely on the support and encouragement of other Christians.

I don’t take it lightly when someone sends me a card or tells me they’re praying for me. That support is greatly appreciated.

I love to sit in a quiet place and read Scripture. This morning, the Apostle Paul ministered to my heart and provided the path to rejuvenation.

Paul’s letters to the early church begin with the above greeting.

Why?

His own life was overwhelming at times, as evidenced by his prayer for God to remove his “thorn in the flesh.” We’ve all got thorns, right? Whether they’re situations, difficult people, or health problems, the only thing that sees us through is God’s grace and peace.

Paul knew the importance of God’s grace and peace to keep the Christian centered.

I’m encouraged by Paul’s statements which reflect his dedication to Christians’ perseverance. His burden and call went beyond his missionary treks and letters to the early Christians. I believe he was forward-thinking enough to realize, either intuitively or by divine leading, his message would be carried to future Christian generations.

Paul’s letters point to his vision of looking beyond the temporal to eternity, thus drawing on God’s strength when our own is depleted.

“For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding.” Colossians 1:9
Just as Jesus prayed for future believers, to some extent Paul did, too. This prayer was directed at the Colossians, but it was also meant for us.

Paul modeled ministering to fellow Christians, in addition to bringing lost souls to Christ.

Our growth as Christians, as well as the ability to carry one another’s burdens and support ministry work, happens through prayer support. Sure, financial support is important, and Paul speaks to this aspect in ministry, as well, but I’m most encouraged by his dogged determination to impact others through prayer. 

“And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might…” Colossians 1:10-11a
In order to bear fruit and grow in the knowledge of Christ, believers must be strengthened with God’s power. Paul’s message reinforces that the only way to do this is through prayer, Bible study, and uplifting from fellow believers. 

“… so that you may have great endurance and patience and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light. For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.” Colossians 1:11b-14
What a great promise! I don’t know about you, but I need God’s power to give me strength, endurance, and patience in this fallen world. Through Jesus, I’m qualified to share in His inheritance.

God rescued His children from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves. Rest in that place of perfect peace today.

Praise His Holy Name!

8 comments:

  1. Great post for a Monday! Thanks for encouraging us all to pray for others and to be involved in others lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Christians need the support of one another, and Mondays can be tough on everyone! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Perfect peace, one we can rest in. What a wonderful way to greet one another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, peace is something we all yearn for but often find elusive. There's nothing better than God's perfect peace.

      Delete
  3. I love the comments you made about being centered. I think that is the word I've been looking for...centered. I'm fighting hard to keep my balance as life comes at us hard. I now have a visual. Thanks sweetie. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Nan. Sorry things have been rough lately. I pray God's comfort for you right now. Hang in there!

      Delete