Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” James 4:13-15

The weather is crisp and cool outside here in the upstate of South Carolina. The sun streaming in through my sunroom windows beckons me to be a part of this beautiful day. It’s the first Monday of a new year. A clean slate waiting to be written upon. I’ve never been one for New Year’s resolutions, mainly because they get lost in the shuffle of daily life. Sure, I have goals, hopes, and dreams like everyone else. But resolutions?

Last year I settled on one resolution—to be more organized. If I accomplished that, I’d have a pretty good chance of fulfilling my goals.

As I look around at my messy office and its organized chaos, I’ve decided revamping last year’s resolution is in order for 2012. Drum roll, please. This year’s resolution is—better time management. A long list of deadlines and goals flit around in my head, yet to be put on paper. Even so, the only way any of it will get done is if I manage my time wisely.

The other key to success is vetting my goals with those of God’s. What does He want me to accomplish this year?  Like the verse alludes to, as a Christian, my success hinges on living in God’s will. My goals can’t be mine alone. I have to be open to the idea that He may have other plans. Therefore, I pray “not my will but Yours.” Perhaps His goals, dreams, and hopes for me are bigger than I could imagine. No doubt, they’re better for my life, if they differ from mine.

Maybe a better resolution would be to turn loose of what we grasp so hard, and in releasing, we open our hands and hearts to receiving what God deems best for our lives.

What resolution have you made for 2012? I’d love to hear from you. Leave a comment and have a blessed 2012.

2 comments:

  1. I don't make New Year Resolutions, but I do know what my greatest desire is for the New Year: to be where God wants me to be, doing what He wants me to do. I realize in order to see that desire become a reality, I need to make spending time with God my #1 priority, every day during 2012. As I see it, if I put Him first, everything else will fall into its proper place.

    Happy New Year, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made the following New Year resolutions in 2011, which will still work in 2012:

    http://mbriley.preachersfiles.com/2010/11/22/new-years-resolutions-for-2011/

    ReplyDelete