Monday, March 19, 2012

Private Sufferings - Noblest Dreams

“It is in the quiet crucible of your personal private sufferings that your noblest dreams are born and God’s greatest gifts are given in compensation for what you’ve been through.”~Wintley Phipps

When I heard this quote today, I was blown away by the message it embodied. Deep within the quiet place of our soul—where our deepest hurts lie—God meets us. And sometimes, we experience His greatest gifts while dwelling with Him there.

We often have no control over the things that try to destroy us or our way of life. Living in a fallen world, Christian and non-Christian alike bear atrocities, hardships, and unfair life situations. Navigating through these situations, we have a choice. We can suffer and feel every nuance of the injustice, or we can meet God in our pain and allow Him to work it for our good or the good of someone else. In other words, focus on the eternal, not the temporal.

Touching others through my writing has been a dream of mine forever. I never could’ve imagined my greatest dream would be juxtaposed with my greatest loss.

My sister’s suicide seven years ago tops the list of most difficult situations I’ve endured. Not just because she died, but how she died. I’d lost several other family members in rapid succession, before and after her death, a total of eight close relatives within a three-year period of time. But Michelle’s death hit the hardest.

While you have no control over cancer, advancing age, or accidents—suicide seems different. Survivors shoulder the misconception that they could’ve done something to prevent it—yet somehow they missed that “something.” With God’s help, guilt can be minimized, but in our human nature, it still seeps into our consciousness, if we allow it.

“In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.” 1 Peter 1:6-7

God took my hurt and shaped it into an avenue to help others. Every time I write an article or devotion to share Michelle’s story, I get emails from people in similar situations—those who’ve attempted suicide themselves or those who’ve lost someone to suicide. Listening to their painful stories is surprisingly cathartic, perhaps because, in reaching out to them, it gives purpose to my loss.

The gift God gave me in writing has been manifested as a balm on others’ pain. It gives me immense comfort to know Michelle’s story has comforted others in their loss. My faith has been strengthened through this and other trials I’ve faced. My sensitivity, across the board, for those suffering has increased. I sense God’s presence more strongly each day and hope my writing reflects His glory.

God will not always wipe away our earthly trials, but He will meet you in that place of quiet desperation and strengthen you. The Apostle Peter speaks of God’s power shielding us through our faith.

Peter also implores us in the above verse to keep our focus on the heavenly—not on the things of this life that can perish, spoil, or fade. By doing so, it reshapes our perspective on our trials, strengthens our faith, and allows God to work through us to help others in their faith walk.

So, in the quiet crucible of your suffering today, will you allow God to dwell with you to work the situation for your good? To grow you to be more like Christ? Maybe even fulfill a noble dream?

Wednesday, I’ll return with another post about sharing one another’s burdens. As Christians, this is what we’re called to do. I hope in starting this interactive weekly feature, this blog will expand its ministry to do just that.

Meanwhile, will you consider subscribing to this blog through email, if it’s been a blessing to you? For a free subscription, simply type your email address into the box on the right. Thanks!

15 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to have found your blog- such a wonderful message and amazing testimony!

    Thank you for sharing how God is working in your life. You are a great witness that life doesn't have to break you- in Christ we are more than conquerors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment, TC. I'm glad you enjoyed the post and were encouraged. Yes, in Christ we are more than conquerors! God bless you.

      Delete
  2. Precious testimony, bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm happy you enjoyed it. God bless you. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I appreciate the devotion you wrote for WOW about this situation, Laura, and I know God is using this tragedy to help and comfort others. Thanks for sharing it from the deep, quiet place of your suffering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gail. God has used this tragedy in my life to touch others. As I said, I receive emails every time I write about her, and this post was no exception.

      Delete
  4. A wonderful reminder Laura and how true that our greatest spiritual growth takes place in the most trying times-when we respond correctly. God bless your writing ministry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martin. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. God bless you.

      Delete
  5. Thanks Laura for sharing your testimony. I love the quote by Wintley Phipps. It always amazes me how God can take suffering and make it redemptive for us and others. In sharing our pain, we embrace a world around us that is hurting. Sharing our joy in the midst of life's sufferings is always a miracle and testimony. Such was yours today. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Glenda. I'm so glad you were touched by the post. God is faithful in showing His love and mercy during the toughest times in our life and then allows us to help others. God bless you, as well.

      Delete
  6. I just found your site today, Laura and it is truly wonderful. I especially LOVE this quote from Wintley Phipps and distinctly remember when I first ran across it. My fiancé had been diagnosed with terminal cancer and I knew the challenge in front of me and called upon the Lord for help. I returned to the beautiful hymn "It is Well with My Soul" and when I googled it, I stumbled upon a video of Wintley Phipps on youTube saying this before he sang the song. I remember the tears flowing, the spiritual release and God's comfort come over me like a warm blanket. There simply is NOTHING that can compare to the power of the Holy Spirit enveloping you through tears, and firmly planting you on solid ground again. Thank you for reminding me of this experience I had in late 2011. God bless you and your ministry!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your personal story, Melanie. I'm glad you found my blog and that post in particular since it blessed you. I look forward to hearing from you again. God bless you.

      Delete
  7. Hello I just stumbled across your site or perhaps to be accurate, God lead me to it. I remember attending a Whintley Phipps concert last year and he recited that quote, before he sang it is well with my soul.

    It has always stuck with me. Tonight I wanted to send the quote to a friend and when I Google it, your blog popped up. After sending the quote to my friend, I returned to check your blog out. Thank you for your words of encouragement and for sharing your sister's story. It is indeed in the times of deepest despair, that we often find solace in the I Am. If we turn to Him, He will reveal Himself to us and gentle cradle us in the palms of His hand.

    Scripture says, "He'll never leave us, nor forsake us."

    God bless and keep you as you continue to share His light to the world. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello I just stumbled across your site or perhaps to be accurate, God lead me to it. I remember attending a Whintley Phipps concert last year and he recited that quote, before he sang it is well with my soul.

    It has always stuck with me. Tonight I wanted to send the quote to a friend and when I Google it, your blog popped up. After sending the quote to my friend, I returned to check your blog out. Thank you for your words of encouragement and for sharing your sister's story. It is indeed in the times of deepest despair, that we often find solace in the I Am. If we turn to Him, He will reveal Himself to us and gentle cradle us in the palms of His hand.

    Scripture says, "He'll never leave us, nor forsake us."

    God bless and keep you as you continue to share His light to the world. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very inspiring at the right time Thank you for sharing Blessings

    ReplyDelete