Thursday, September 8, 2011

Rest for the Weary

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” Matthew 11:28-29

I don’t know about you, but Jesus’ soothing words are the balm I need for my soul many days. When I’m scurrying around, trying to meet deadlines or deal with a family issue, I feel “heavy laden.” Often at the end of the day, I reflect on how stressful the day has been. I welcome the moment when the light is turned off, and I put my head on my pillow. The older I get, though, the less sleep is immediate.
On those nights, I think of Jesus’ words, and I wonder: Why do I allow myself to stray from His gentle rest?
As I’m typing this, friends come to mind who are laden down with overwhelming health issues, financial worries, job losses or underemployment, dysfunctional family situations, and the list goes on and on. My prayer for you this morning is that in the midst of the chaos swirling around you, you’ll find peace for your weary and burdened souls in the gentle rest of our Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment