Thursday, June 12, 2014

Watch, O Lord

Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! Psalm 46:10 NKJV

When I logged onto Bible Gateway yesterday afternoon and read this verse, it was like a balm of Gilead to my soul, mind, and body. As I embraced just being still, I felt God's comfort and peace wash over me. 

The past few weeks have been rather challenging as I prepare for my final exam in medical coding, while keeping up with homework, my transcription work and writing, and battling pain in my upper back and shoulders. No matter what I do, nothing eases it. The only real solution would be to step away from the books and computer for a good rest. Ha! It’ll be a while before that can happen.

I had another blog post I planned to share, but since it’s not finished, and my three-hour final exam is tonight, the less time I spend on the computer, the better. So, instead, I’ll share this prayer from St. Augustine and hope it will bless you as you read it or add it to your own prayers today.

I’m not a rote prayer kind of person, but this particular one touched me where I needed it this week. And, I always enjoy learning from the saints of past centuries. Just like with the old hymns, there is much theology and divine inspiration in such prayers.

Watch, O Lord, with those who wake, or watch, or weep tonight, and give your angels charge over those who sleep. Tend your sick ones, O Lord Christ. Rest your weary ones. Bless your dying ones. Soothe your suffering ones. Pity your afflicted ones. Shield your joyous ones. And for all your love's sake. Amen. (Villanova.edu) 
If you have a prayer need, I’d love to pray for you. Leave a comment or e-mail me your confidential requests. 

One young mother we’ve prayed for during the past three years has been Courtney, who’s battled a cancerous brain tumor. After her last MRI six weeks ago, the doctors discontinued the final chemo she’d been on. Last week was her first recheck since then.

From her Caring Bridge site: The first words out of Courtney's neuro-oncologist were, "God is so good!" She said her MRI looked awesome and everything is stable! She gave Courtney a big hug along with some of the other medical team…We will now resume the every eight week MRI's with our next appointment at the end of July. Someday, we hope the appointments can be spaced out even more, but for now, we are so thankful the fine doctors and medical staff are watching her so closely and will address anything as quickly as possible should it be necessary to do so…The thoughts and prayers from all of you are so important to us as we make these frequent trips.  Each visit can be life changing and knowing that others wish her well and pray for continued healing, is so comforting to us.  The smiles continue and for that, we are so grateful.

The only thing I can add is “Praise God!”

Do you have a favorite prayer or Bible verse you’d like to share? How has it encouraged you during sickness or through trials?

God bless,
Laura

©Laura Hodges Poole

Available for FREE Kindle download today only:




“The Precipice: When Everything We Know Ends” is a collection of short stories with futuristic settings, though most are plausible in our current world situation. Following each short story is a list of discussion questions to help the reader explore their own belief system. This book would make a great small group or Bible study resource. 

3 comments:

  1. PRAISE GOD, PRAISE GOD, PRAISE GOD!!! laura the news on courtney is wonderful!! i am so very happy to hear this report.what wonderful doctors! really needed to hear some good news this morning! also please know you remain in my prayers and i will continue to pray for your pain and for your final tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura. I pray all is going well for you today. I like the prayer, will print that one out. Thank you for sharing the update on Courtney, God is truly good!

    For your neck and shoulder pain, my husband and I have recently discovered magnesium oil for muscle pains. It is applied externally, and I purchase it online for very little (several retailers carry it). Just a thought.

    Hang in there, and thank you for being such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a wonderful verse, it blessed my weary soul today.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete