Thursday, May 15, 2014

Leaving A Legacy

“I look back on my life like a good day's work, it was done and I am satisfied with it.” Grandma Moses (American folk artist)

One of the writing hats I wear is ghostwriter/collaborator. I’m in the process of helping two wonderful Christian ladies write their life stories that will bring encouragement to all who read them. You might characterize this as part of their legacy. I also keep two journals of reflections for my son and daughter to enjoy after I’m gone. I pray the work I do will inspire and encourage many for years to come.

If you were given paper and pen to write a final statement about your life before your death, what would you write? The Apostle Paul wrote this passage in the shadow of impending execution.

“For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time of my departure is near.  I have fought the good fight. I have finished the race. I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.” 2 Timothy 4:6-8 

Paul had committed egregious sins prior to becoming a Christian. Formerly a Jewish zealot who persecuted Christians, he was equally fervent in leading people to the Christ he knew intimately. He instructed the early Christians, not only in behavior but in their life’s purpose.

One might say this final recorded statement reflected Paul’s legacy. Yet nothing in his closing remarks mentions punishment for past sins.

Why?

Because he’d been forgiven. And once we’re forgiven, the only direction to go is forward. Paul’s ministry was the best example we have of the Christian faith manifested through works—bringing action to his testimony.

So, back to the piece of paper in front of you—the one that will hold your legacy. Can you write that you’ve fought the good fight? Finished the race? Kept the faith?

Very few Christians can measure up to Paul’s accomplishments, but do we earnestly try? The first step of leaving a legacy is creating one. Regardless of man’s assessment, when we stand before God, will we hear, “Well done, thou good and faithful servant?”

Our legacy before God and man is created by living a life worthy of being remembered.

What do you hope to be remembered for when your life is over?

If you have a prayer request, please leave a comment or e-mail me confidential requests. I’d love to pray for you.

God bless,
Laura

©Laura Hodges Poole

Book image courtesy of Nuttapong/FreeDigitalPhotos.net.
Silhouette of Man image courtesy of Chaiwat/FreeDigitalPhotos.net.


2 comments:

  1. You know Laura these things are so important to ponder. 40 days before my son was killed he had given his senior testimony. Little did he know these words were the last he would formally give. http://farmingoncilleyhill.blogspot.com/2013/08/proclaiming-his-testimony.html Here is his testimony for one so young. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, thank you for stopping by and sharing about your son and the link to your blog. I pray it will be a blessing to all who read it. Little do we know how our words effect others and when the last time we'll speak will be. God bless you and your family.

      Delete