Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Escaping Life's Superficial Trap

“Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young.” Psalm 84:3a   

How do you like the photo of my little friends on the left? Their mama and daddy built this nest anticipating their arrival. The nest was intricately constructed with beautiful flowers, moss, grass, and twigs. It’s in a precarious place atop my porch light, but apparently, the birds feel safe because they return every spring to make a new home. Only when the front door opens do they flee, shrieking in terror that “something” almost got them. 
 
The birds start singing every morning around 3:00 a.m. when they imagine the first hint of daylight. I say imagine because it’s still pretty dark to me. 

“In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly.” Psalm 5:3

One of the first things I realize upon awakening is the blessing of another day. I envy the bird’s ability to sing this to the world each morning. Often before I’m even fully awake, I began to talk to God about the day ahead. 

Sometimes humans dwell in an apparent safe place. We’ve created our perfect nest lined with beautiful things, content until something threatens our earthly trappings. While we shriek about superficial terror, we often hit the snooze button when it comes to spiritual threats.

Which would matter more?
     If my electricity were off for 24 hours or my access to God denied for 24 hours?
     If I lost my car keys or lost my Bible?
     If I were denied a promotion or a family member refused salvation?
     If the baseball game I attended went to extra innings or Sunday morning church service ran late?

The things we consider important in this temporal life are often nothing more than superficial security blankets. In fact, they may even have us in bondage. Just like the birds, we often repeat our mistakes while believing "this" time we'll be safe, when the only true security we have is inside the will of God.

The bird’s nest, which was so beautiful in the spring, deteriorated after it served its purpose. By autumn, it no longer existed. Likewise, our only lasting treasures are stored up in heaven for eternity (Matthew 6:20).

What earthly thing or situation has you trapped? Or perhaps is threatening the work God has called you to do? God already knows about it. He’s just waiting for you to ask for help.

If you have a prayer request, leave it in the comment section below or e-mail me confidential requests. My contact info is under the heading marked “Talk to Me.” I’d love to pray for you!
 
God bless,
Laura
 
©Laura Hodges Poole

Revised post from archives—originally published June 6, 2012.

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful picture in a simple nest. Such an encouraging post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anastacia. I'm glad you were encouraged. I love my little birds each spring, but they are funny insisting on building in such an unstable place. God bless you.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the reminder to keep things in the proper perspective, Laura. We all need to be reminded every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "While we shriek about superficial terror, we often hit the snooze button when it comes to spiritual threats." so true, and I am guilty of this myself. Thanks for this post. Good reminders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Powerful post. You did a great job at contrasting what we place value in.

    Your post reminds me of something you said in another post, (paraphrasing), "I did something today that I can't take credit for, I woke up."

    Each day, each breath is a blessing.
    I want to use each breath to sing my God's praise. It's sad that I can get distracted by worldly treasures.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete