Wednesday, January 1, 2014

My Word For The Year

“For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love.” 2 Peter 1:5-7 NIV 

Happy New Year! Instead of making New Year’s resolutions, I decided once again to choose a word for the year. Last year my word was organization because I figured if I got organized, many other goals would get accomplished. I succeeded some, I think. J

This year my word is: DISCIPLINE

According to the Google dictionary, self-discipline means “the ability to control one's feelings and overcome one's weaknesses; the ability to pursue what one thinks is right despite temptations to abandon it.

Wow! Just reading that definition is overwhelming. Can I do all that? I’m going to try, with God’s help.

No matter what area of my life I apply discipline to, my goals have a better chance of succeeding. In the Bible verse above, many other character traits come out of the ability to exercise self-control. Conversely, not exercising self-control can impede accomplishing goals.

Like many writers, I have a bad habit of checking my social media accounts when I get writer’s block. In switching gears, I often come across interesting articles to read, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but my attention is diverted from writing. Instead, I’m determined to push through the block and increase my daily output, thus increasing my published work and ability to reach others for Christ.

Discipline applied to my exercise regimen and diet would improve those areas, and my health, as well.

While researching the word discipline, I came across a blog post entitled "7 Self-Discipline Techniques." One line in particular jumped out at me: “Life isn't some waiting room in which to 'kill time' with repetitive self-amusements.”

Sounds a little like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and other social media amusements, not to mention Farm Town, Candy whatever-it’s-called-that’s-so-popular, and other games to amuse us while on Facebook.

Faith, goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, mutual affection, and love. They all go together. I’m excited about the New Year and what God’s plan is for my writing and other areas of my life.

Now it’s your turn. Share a resolution you’ve made or a word you’ve chosen for 2014. Franklin Graham’s daughter, Cissie Graham Lynch, blogged about choosing a prayer of the year. Another great idea! You can read her post by clicking here.

Meanwhile, if you have a prayer request or need prayer support to meet your goals, please feel free to share it in the comments section below or email me confidential requests. I assure you, I write down all requests in my prayer book and keep them in my prayers.

Have a blessed New Year!

Laura J

©Laura Hodges Poole

No comments:

Post a Comment