Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Diverging Paths


I shall be telling this with a sigh, somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~Robert Frost

Have you ever encountered diverging roads and honestly couldn’t decide which path to take? In hindsight, you might feel you made the right choice but sometimes regret not taking the other path.

More often than not, the path chosen appears to hold more promise, security, adventure, intrigue, or perhaps even danger. Remember the old classics Alice in Wonderland and Huckleberry Finn? These were the first two classics I ever read and did so as an 8-year-old third grader. Though my third grade reading book contained interesting stories, I needed more of a challenge. Once I discovered more intricate stories waiting to be devoured, I visited the library as often as I could. I read Alice in Wonderland in two days, and it didn’t take much longer to read Huck Finn. Now, did I understand everything I read? Certainly not. The plots in both books contained adult themes and undertones an 8-year-old child growing up in the 1970s wouldn’t understand.

In both books, Alice and Huck were faced with “diverging roads” and chose the path of intrigue, adventure, and danger. I think it’s safe to say many folks wouldn’t be content with a wandering path that few travel.

Yet, in some ways, the path leading to danger or putting your life on the line for your fellow man might be less traveled. Certainly choosing a path that’s unpopular or goes against societal ills can be a difficult one to travel.

I’ve encountered many crossroads and paths in my life. I’ve spent the last thirty years raising children, and now my nest is almost empty. Almost, because Josh will live at home while attending college. At least, that’s the plan for now. As I look back thirty years and then to the future, I find myself assessing my life.

What will the next thirty years look like?

My career in medical transcription has evolved into a nightmare of healthcare administration changes, which will only get more cumbersome in the coming years. Through my efforts to continue my education in healthcare, it’s becoming more apparent that the satisfaction I used to feel in this area no longer exists. The chokehold of regulations and metered-out care will soon not resemble true healthcare.

My writing career continues to grow with opportunities, so I have a vision of what the future might hold career-wise.

But more importantly, I strongly believe and live by the admonition given in the Scriptures (Galatians 2:20 and Matthew 16:24-25) and reinforced through books like Amy Carmichael’s biography, A Chance to Die. Dying to self is a must for spiritual growth to produce Kingdom fruit in our lives to impact those around us.

My most important burden has to be the unsaved, the folks living in places deemed too dangerous to reach, widows, orphans, the untouchables, and the people society has deemed throwaways. These exist in every country in the world. I’m prayerfully hopeful that my future includes broadening my work in this mission field.

And then there is the ultimate path. The one that leads to salvation in Christ and our eternal life. If this is a decision you’re struggling with, I’d love to pray for you. Leave a comment or e-mail me.

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. Matthew 7:13-14

No matter what path or decisions you’re facing today, remember God is right there with you.


Would you consider taking a moment to click on the prayer list above and pray for those listed? If you have a prayer request, please leave a comment or e-mail me confidential requests.

Do you have a “diverging path” story you’d like to share? I’d love to hear that, as well. J

Shalom,
Laura

©Laura Hodges Poole


2 comments:

  1. I don't think I would have tackled such adult novels at 8 as you did, Laura. : )
    But I like your thoughts about the paths we take. And I like your thoughts about your own future. What does it hold. We are always surprised, in my opinion. It usually isn't what we think, but something better.
    And I'd love to hear what mission plans you are considering. Sounds interesting.
    Thanks for linking up to TGIF.

    (p.s. please consider removing your Captcha, Laura. If you moderate or if you disallow anonymous comments, you really don't need it and it can be an obstacle to seeing-impaired and older readers,like me.)
    If you google it, I think you'll find a pretty solid body of opinion that it does more harm than good for blogs.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gail. Glad you enjoyed the post. I've removed the Captcha before and would open my email to dozens of spam comments that I'd have to go in and remove each day. So I put it back on. I'll take another look at it. I get legitimate anonymous comments at times, so I don't want to disallow those. Thanks for the suggestions!

      Delete