Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Value of Bad


Life's mishaps
“Bad times have a scientific value. These are occasions a good learner would not miss.”~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Are you a good learner? I wonder sometimes if I am. I often repeat mistakes before I learn from them. I trust and extend goodwill, despite being burned in the past from those I’ve trusted. I won’t say it hasn’t made me more guarded, though, because it has.

Embracing bad times as valuable means a willingness to walk through a trial instead of asking God to remove it. Tough one, huh?

So maybe the better question is: Am I a willing learner?

A heart well prepared for adversity in bad times hopes, and in good times fears for a change in fortune.~Horace, Roman poet

How do we prepare for adversity? For a Christian, that means staying rooted in God’s Word and at His feet in prayer. If we do that, we need not fear a “change in fortune.”

When times are good, be happy;
but when times are bad, consider this:
God has made the one
as well as the other.
Therefore, no one can discover
anything about their future. Ecclesiastes 7:14

Would it help us to prepare for the bad, if we knew our future? Probably not. As Horace observed, it would fuel our fears and rob us of happiness during good times. God’s plan is always better than ours. The ebb and flow of good and bad is something He has deemed worthy for us to experience to grow deeper in our relationship with Him.

Are you ready to embrace adversity as an opportunity for growth?


Do you have a prayer need? I’d love to pray for you. Please share in the comments section below or e-mail me confidential requests.

Betty asks for prayer for her mother-in-law who recently lost her husband to Alzheimer’s. She’s experiencing her own health issues now including memory problems and fibromyalgia. Please pray for a return to good health and wisdom for the family as they seek answers. 
The permanent prayer list is at the top of this blog, as well as Sgt. Jesse McCart’s updates. Would you take a moment to lift up these folks in prayer? Thanks.J 

Shalom,
Laura

©Laura Hodges Poole

Photo courtesy of Microsoft.com free clip art

6 comments:

  1. I'm a slow learner. I often have to repeat things NUMEROUS times! But God has been showing me the only way through something is just that- I have to go through it. I can't go around the storm. I have to trust Him to take the through it.
    He's also been showing me that before a situation will change, I need to change! Gulp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you, TC. Embracing change is difficult. It's much easier to pray for the trial to be removed than for wisdom to learn what God wants us to. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. AGain and again... yup. But getting better each time. As long as we are willing to grow - we will grow.
    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are several situations I would not have walked into had I known the future. I'm so glad I didn't know and that I stepped forward in faith. I would have missed out on greater faith growth had I not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can think of situations in my life, as well. God's wisdom is much better than mine, so I only have to trust him. Thanks for stopping by and sharing. God bless.

      Delete