Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Are You Hungry?

Have you ever really been hungry? I remember as a child being hungry. Not malnourished hungry, but stomach-growling, longing-for-the-next-meal hungry. In our household of nine, we ate at meal times and there was enough for one helping. On rare occasions, when money wasn’t so tight, my mom would bake a pan of brownies or a cake, but that was usually for a birthday or special occasion. This got better in my teen years as my older siblings grew up and moved out, and I worked and had money of my own to spend. But we never had the overabundance of food that is available now. There were times I ate things I shouldn’t have just to stop the embarrassing grumbling of my stomach. Doing so never really made the hunger go away. When I got married 29 years ago, I weighed 103 pounds.
There’s an even worse hunger we can experience than physical hunger—spiritual hunger. A longing in your soul for the God-shaped void to be filled, as mathematician Blaise Pascal expressed it. Some seek to fill the void with things they shouldn’t, and each time they walk away still hungry.
C.S. Lewis once said, “God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing.”
What are you trying to fill your emptiness with today? Come and dine at the Master’s table and walk away full!
Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.” John 6:35

No comments:

Post a Comment